Top 5 Favorite Make Up Brands
While I like to have a diverse collection of make up from multiple brands, there are definitely some beauty brands that I come back to again and again. Here are my top 5 favorite brands that I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend to anyone:
I never realized just how much of my make up collection was from theBalm, from their make up remover to their eyeshadows to their primers to their face powders. They really have an amazing array of high quality products (with super adorable packaging). Plus, they frequently have sales, making their products accessible and affordable to everyone. I continually re-buy my favorites and am always excited to try their new offerings.
Benefit is widely loved brand and I love it too! I especially love their blushes, highlighters and stains. They constantly innovate with their products (the They’re Real! products being a great example) so I always love to try their new stuff. All their products end up being high quality and worth their price tag.
I never thought of myself as I fan until I realized how many of their products I use on a daily basis. Their gel eyeliners, under-eye concealers and Color Tattoo cream eyeshadows are products I cannot live without; they are high quality with very affordable price tags! They also have many great other products, especially face products (like their BB creams, primers and highlighters).
Revlon is a really reliable drugstore brand that I’ve always depended on. While I never really used their eye products too much, they have a really great line of face products (like foundations, blushes, concealers, etc) and I have so many of their lip colors. (Their Balm Stain line is the best) I also love their ColorStay nail polishes, which are long-lasting.
5) Urban Decay
I had a hard time deciding on my #5 because I like products from a wide array of brands. However, Urban Decay definitely shines through and their recent Naked Basics 2 is my new favorite palette. All of their products are super high quality, but they also have a high price tag. Their eyeshadows are really wonderful and pigmented, plus their lip products are great and come in a huge array of colors. After trying out their products, I can totally buy into the hype.
GET THE LOOK: Poison Apple Lips for Fall
Dark, burgundy lips are a fall staple that anyone and everyone can pull off! I love lipstick trends because they’re easy to achieve without spending a lot of money.
On the eyes, keep it simple with nude eyeliner in the waterline and inner corner (Rimmel ScandalEyes in Nude, $4), and generously add mascara to upper and lower lashes (L’Oreal Miss Manga Mascara in Black, $9).
Brows are the secondary feature in this look, so keep them looking natural yet thick with a pencil and tinted gel. Sculpt the brows to make them straight, and brush the brow hairs up and out for a modern look (Revlon Brow Fantasy, $8)
Now for the lips! Whenever you do a dark lip, a liner is a must. Go slowly when applying a dark lip liner, because it’s harder to clean up if you mess up! Color in your entire lip with a dark, wine colored pencil (Jordana EasyLiner in Cabernet, $2). Layer a deep red shade of lipstick over top, blotting between layers to build up color intensity (Wet n Wild MegaLast in Cherry Bomb, $2). Finally, get that cartoon-inspired lacquer shine by finishing with a matching gloss (NYC LiquidLipshine in Wine n Dine, $2)
Products mentioned can be found on Drugstore.com - internationally!
A great look for fall and a great guide on how to use drugstore products to recreate it.
Birchbox & Ipsy - September
This month, I thought my Birchbox offerings were much stronger than the Ipsy ones, although Ipsy accidentally gave me two lip glosses instead of one! Also, the Ipsy bag was a bit blah. Not the most exciting month for subscription boxes!
- Real Chemistry Luminous 3-Minute Peel - I had a hard time getting this to work as expected. It ended up making my face really red to the point where it was irritated. Not a fan.
- Pixi by Petra Breath of Fresh Air Lip Balm in Ripe Raspberry - As a sheer lip color, I think this is a nice product. The pinkish red color I got was really nice and flattering. However, it doesn’t work well as a lip balm and makes my lips pretty dry.
- ORIGINS Plantscription Anti-Aging Serum - I usually don’t buy into serums but this product seems nice enough. Makes my skin feel really soft and it’s pretty lightweight. I might not buy a full size but I’ll definitely use this sample.
- Perlier Body Balm - I’ve gotten so many body lotions from these subscription boxes, but this one is probably the nicest. It’s super thick and smells like a baby. It is a little greasy but it’s very effective.
- Harvey Prince Hello Perfume - This perfume is light and very citrusy. I’ll definitely use it.
(I also got a Bonus Box from Birchbox, as part of one of their promotions, but it seems like they were just giving away their old stock of samples. I received two new products and two products that I had in previous boxes. Still fun, but not review worthy)
- Crown Brush Infinity Shadow/Crease Duet Brush - Dual-sided brushes are good for travel, but I generally don’t like them because they’re hard to store without ruining one side. These brushes seem nice and soft, but I probably won’t use them much.
- Pacifica Natural Waterproof Eye Pencil in Fringe - Fringe is a nice earthy brown color. The pencil is super creamy but unfortunately smears very easily. I can’t imagine this staying on your eye all day. I’m not a fan of Pacifica products in general, to be honest.
- Briogeo Don’t Despair Repair Deep Conditioning Mask - I love hair mask but this one is not conditioning at all! My normal conditioner is much better than this mask. This makes my hair feel like straw.
- CAILYN Art Touch Tinted Lip Gloss in Basic Instinct - They actually gave me TWO of these, which is awesome because I like the color. (It’s a berry, vampy red color) The gloss itself is nice and pigmented, plus it’s non-sticky and a bit hydrating. Unfortunately, the texture is a bit slippery so it’s not long wearing. Still, I think I’ll wear these a lot.
- Nourish Organic Moisturizing Face Cream Cleanser - This cleanser is very creamy but unfortunately it cleaned my face a little too much, to the point where it felt dry and irritated. It also left behind a bit of a residue.